1. Accept the fact that we cannot rely too much on memory
2. The human mind is exposed to a deluge of information every
day. As a result the mind applies a filtering process so only
a proportion of what we see and hear is retained in our minds.
So instead of depending on our selective memory why not depend
on a piece of paper.
3. Carry a scribbling pad and a pen with you all the time
4. The moment you fix an appointment or are asked to attend a
meeting, jot it down in the scribbling pad. Do not bother about
others laughing at you. You will have the last laugh in the end.
5. It is a good idea to write down orders in your book:
6. Each time you tell somebody to do something or when somebody
like your boss asks you to do something write it down in your
book along with the date and the time. Do not be afraid of being
thought about as a person with a very poor memory. It wonít be
long before people start thinking of you as a highly organized
7. If you have an electronic pocket organizer be sure to use it
Each time someone gives you his or her telephone number, immediately
enter it into your pocket organizer, along with the personís name
Use the backside of business cards to help your memory
10. Usually we get a lot of business cards as we go about our
daily business of life. The business card of course contains the
name of the person, his or her telephone number and probably the
name of the firm for which the person works.
But the problem is, the next time we meet the person, the face
may seem familiar but we wonít have the foggiest idea as to where
we met the person.
The best thing is to jot down a few points about the person and
probably the reason for meeting him or her and the place as well.
This will certainly lessen the load on your memory centre. Be
sure not to do it in front of the person.
11. File the business cards properly
12. As soon as you get back to your office take care to file the
business cards you collected properly. Donít just stuff them into
your card folder. Take care to read them properly and perhaps
keep the cards of important clients separately. If you do not
find much use for a personís card, toss it.
Prepare a to-do list everyday
14. I cannot over-emphasize the importance of to-do lists in getting
yourself organized. It is probably the most sensible thing that
a busy person should do.
Plan what you have to do well in advance
16. It is a good idea to have daily, weekly and monthly plans
for your business and yourself.
Have a fixed timetable
It may seem kind of mechanical but it would be wonderful if you
could have a fixed time for everything and try to stick religiously
to the time table. Believe me it really helps because in that
way you will have time for everything and everything can be done
in the time allowed for it.